There are a number of cave systems that also include an element of use of mine systems. To avoid the need to have mine exploration and caving permits for these systems when the mine system use is minimal, a number of these systems have been defined as caves, so mine exploration permits, mine inspection reports etc are not required. The full list is included in the caving factsheet.
Updated resource (March 2011):
FS120451 Caving. Added list of joint cave / mine systems that are classed as caves
Due to the different techniques and hazards involved, the caving permit has been split away from mines, and a new mine exploration permit introduced. The types and levels of mine exploration permit mirror those available for caving but look specifically at the skills required and experience in mines. For both caves and mine exploration there is also a new level of permit '...with SRT for the Leader' that allows the permit holder to use SRT, but not the rest of the group.
New resources (September 2010):
- FS120450 Mine Exploration. A factsheet to support the new permit of mine exploration.
- AC120952 Assessment Checklist for Mine Exploration - Leadership. Syllabus for all leadership permits for mine exploration permits.
- AC120861 Assessment Checklist for Mine Exploration - Personal. Syllabus for all personal permits for mine exploration permits.
Updated resources (September 2010):
- FS120451 Caving. Removed reference to mines, added details of the new SRT for the Leader permit, and further guidance of group sizes, first aid, seconds, belays and harness types.
- AC120946 Assessment Checklist for Caving - Leadership. Amalgamated all three caving leadership assessment checklists (no vertical pitches, with ladders, with SRT for the group) and adds the syllabus for the new SRT for the leader permit. Further detail in syllabus.
- AC120856 Assessment Checklist for Caving - Personal. Amalgamated all three caving personal assessment checklists (no vertical pitches, with ladders, with SRT). Further detail added to the syllabus.
- FS120100 Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme. Added new permit types; caving with SRT for the leader and mine exploration.
- FS120104 Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme - Approved Assessors. Amended the County Assessor requirement for caving with no vertical pitches to LCMLA1. Added assessor qualification details for new permit types caving with SRT for the leader and mine exploration.
- AC120857 Assessment Checklist for Caving with Ladders - Personal. Amalgamated into AC120856 Assessment Checklist for Caving - Personal.
- AC120858 Assessment Checklist for Caving with SRT - Personal. Amalgamated into AC120856 Assessment Checklist for Caving - Personal.
- AC120947 Assessment Checklist for Caving with Ladders - Leadership. Amalgamated into AC120946 Assessment Checklist for Caving - Leadership.
- AC120948 Assessment Checklist for Caving with SRT - Leadership. Amalgamated into AC120946 Assessment Checklist for Caving - Leadership.
For systems that do require Mine Inspection Reports:
Mine inspection reports
Assistant County/Area/District Commissioner Activities, Regional Activities Advisers (Scotland),
Assessors for caving and mine exploration, Advisors for caving,
caving and mine exploration permit holders, Northern Ireland and Scotland Advisers for Activities,
Wales Commissioner for Activities, Wales / Northern Ireland / Scotland Headquarters
Following the introduction of the requirement for all mine exploration to take place in mines that have a current inspection report, we have been working with some of the bodies that hold such reports to gain access to them for members of The Scout Association. We're pleased to say we now have access to a number of these documents, most notably for the Peak District and South Wales.
The current list of inspection reports that we have access to, along with details of how to get hold of them on the mine inspection reports webpage.
This list will be updated when further reports are accessed. If there are other mine inspection reports that you would like us to try and get access to, please let us know and we'll see what we can do.
Activities Office | The Scout Association
020 8433 7157
Gilwell Park | Chingford | London | E4 7QW